Monday, February 1, 2010

Not Salinger, But Still a Scoop

Cleveland's Plain Dealer gets what it calls the first interview in 20 years with Bill Watterson, creator of the Calvin and Hobbes comic that he gave up in 1995 and hasn't spoken about since. Excerpt:
Ah, the life of a newspaper cartoonist — how I miss the groupies, drugs and trashed hotel rooms!

But since my “rock star” days, the public attention has faded a lot. In Pop Culture Time, the 1990s were eons ago. There are occasional flare-ups of weirdness, but mostly I just go about my quiet life and do my best to ignore the rest. I’m proud of the strip, enormously grateful for its success, and truly flattered that people still read it, but I wrote “Calvin and Hobbes” in my 30s, and I’m many miles from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.