
We've looked at this subject a few times in the past week, and now Clark Hoyt, the NYT public editor, devotes a column to it for tomorrow's paper. A number of readers have complained about allegedly too-graphic photos from Haiti in the the Times, including on the front page. Hoyt talks to staffers and an expert at Poynter and concludes that it was okay. Here's an excerpt with response from the key photog Damon Winter:
“I have had so many people beg me to come to their home and photograph the bodies of their children, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers,” he said. “There are so many times that I have to apologize and say that I cannot, that I have photographed so many bodies already, and I think it breaks their hearts because they so desperately want people to know what has happened to them, what tremendous pain they are in, and that they desperately need help.” Winter said it was important “that I do whatever I can to try and make our readers understand just how dire the situation is here.”
Reality makes an awful lot of USians very uncomfortable. They've been running away from it pretty much every chance they get for most of their lives...
ReplyDeleteYou Can't run away forever death will find you one day.
ReplyDelete